U.S. stocks rose Thursday after better-than-expected earnings reports from Bank of America and other major companies.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average jumped about 505 points, or 1.5%. The S&P 500 gained 1.6% and the Nasdaq Composite added 1.7%.
Third-quarter earnings season continued Thursday with several big banks and Dow members reporting financial results before the bell.
Eight members of the S&P 500 reported earnings this morning and all eight beat earnings-per-share expectations from Wall Street.
“So far, the overwhelming majority of large US companies have been able to generate higher profitability despite rising labor costs because sales growth has been so robust. We expect the same to be true in 3Q,” Mark Haefele, chief investment officer of UBS Global Wealth Management, said in a note Thursday
- Indianapolis Colts RB Nyheim Hines stumbles after big hit in game against the Denver Broncos, undergoes concussion protocol
- Trial of Lori Vallow, who is accused of killing her 2 children, is delayed for new competency examination
- 'Super Mario Bros. Movie' teaser trailer shows first look at Chris Pratt as Mario
- Morale is plummeting in Putin's private army as Russia's war in Ukraine falters
- Viking cruise ship can't finish voyage because Mississippi River is too low
- New social media video shows Russian recruits sleeping on yoga mats
- Your guide to Proposition 1 on the 2022 California midterm ballot
- 36-Pack 1-Oz Pelon Polo Rico Tamarind Candy $8 w/ S&S + Free Shipping w/ Prime or on orders over $25 (0 replies)
- Your guide to the L.A. city attorney election: Faisal Gill vs. Hydee Feldstein Soto
- 30-In-1 Game Collection (Nintendo Switch) $21.84 + Free Shipping w/ Prime or on orders over $25 (4 replies)
- Your guide to Proposition 31 on the 2022 California midterm ballot
- Hanes Boys' Crew Socks Pack, 12-Pack - $5.99 - Amazon (1 replies)
- Greater Than Games Spirit Island Core Board Game - $52.99 + F/S - Amazon (0 replies)
- Sheriff Villanueva bans inspector general from department facilities
- Transformers Toys Studio Series 87 Deluxe Class Transformers: Dark of The Moon Bumblebee Action Figure - $15.99 - Amazon (0 replies)