U.S. stocks rose Thursday after better-than-expected earnings reports from Bank of America and other major companies.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average jumped about 505 points, or 1.5%. The S&P 500 gained 1.6% and the Nasdaq Composite added 1.7%.
Third-quarter earnings season continued Thursday with several big banks and Dow members reporting financial results before the bell.
Eight members of the S&P 500 reported earnings this morning and all eight beat earnings-per-share expectations from Wall Street.
“So far, the overwhelming majority of large US companies have been able to generate higher profitability despite rising labor costs because sales growth has been so robust. We expect the same to be true in 3Q,” Mark Haefele, chief investment officer of UBS Global Wealth Management, said in a note Thursday
- Devastation: The horrifying situation in Turkey
- Video: Father weeps over body of baby in heartbreaking scene
- Controlled release of toxic chemical from train that derailed in Ohio appears to start with boom and black smoke
- Los Angeles Lakers are the hottest ticket in town as LeBron James closes in on NBA history
- 2023 Grammy Awards score ratings rebound
- Tom Girardi makes first court appearance after fraud indictment
- Ted Cruz introduces 2-term limit bill. He's seeking a third term
- Newsom urges federal probe into soaring prices for natural gas in California, other Western states
- Bracing for 'superbloom' chasers, Lake Elsinore closes road to popular hiking trail
- $3.74 Each Digital 4K UHD Titles: Parasite, American Gangster, Phantom Thread, The Girl on the Train or The Invisible Man (2020) (0 replies)
- Surveillance video shows fatal police shooting of double amputee holding a knife
- Suspect had an 'extensive history and feud' with family gunned down in Goshen
- Six homes evacuated, damaged 'after series of heavy rains' cause Santa Clarita landslide
- Child, 10, killed in dispute between California families, sheriff says
- 26.75" adidas Golf Duffle Bag w/ Vented Shoe Pocket & Backpack Straps (Grey Five) $38.40 + Free Shipping (0 replies)