U.S. stocks rose Thursday after better-than-expected earnings reports from Bank of America and other major companies.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average jumped about 505 points, or 1.5%. The S&P 500 gained 1.6% and the Nasdaq Composite added 1.7%.
Third-quarter earnings season continued Thursday with several big banks and Dow members reporting financial results before the bell.
Eight members of the S&P 500 reported earnings this morning and all eight beat earnings-per-share expectations from Wall Street.
“So far, the overwhelming majority of large US companies have been able to generate higher profitability despite rising labor costs because sales growth has been so robust. We expect the same to be true in 3Q,” Mark Haefele, chief investment officer of UBS Global Wealth Management, said in a note Thursday
- San Francisco Caltrain station closes when man climbs power pole
- Column: Newsom and DeSantis have the spotlight, but they don't have a chance. Harris and Haley might
- GoveeLife Smart Space Heater for Indoor Use, 1500W Fast Electric Heater with Thermostat, Wi-Fi App & Voice Remote Control, $29.99 (3 replies)
- Target Circle: Get $15 Target gift card on Happy Holidays gift cards - $100 (6 replies)
- 'Blasted ... to kingdom come': Family of man shot by CHP officer on 105 Freeway files suit
- 8-Quart Bella Pro Series Digital Air Fryer w/ Divided Basket (Black) $39.99 + Free Shipping (0 replies)
- Oragami Portable Folding Adjustable Height Sit-to-Stand Computer Desk w/ Wheels $100, 32" TechOrbits Adjustable Standing Desktop Converter Workstation $70 + Free Shipping w/ Prime (0 replies)
- Yes4All Dumbbell Adjustable - 105lbs total / 52.5 lbs each side $82.00 Amazon (3 replies)
- 'Everything's like a gamble': U.S. immigration policies leave lives in limbo
- He died training for L.A. teen crisis hotline. His parents want all to know the number
- Are immigrants better off in Texas or California? It's complicated
- As teen suicide spikes, school policies may be making things worse
- 'A brilliant move': How the Newsom-DeSantis debate offers major upsides for the governors
- Could immigrants be America's new swing voter group?
- $26.99: Lasko Oscillating Ceramic Space Heater, 15.7 Inches, Black, 1500W, CT16450, Small (0 replies)