U.S. stocks rose Thursday after better-than-expected earnings reports from Bank of America and other major companies.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average jumped about 505 points, or 1.5%. The S&P 500 gained 1.6% and the Nasdaq Composite added 1.7%.
Third-quarter earnings season continued Thursday with several big banks and Dow members reporting financial results before the bell.
Eight members of the S&P 500 reported earnings this morning and all eight beat earnings-per-share expectations from Wall Street.
“So far, the overwhelming majority of large US companies have been able to generate higher profitability despite rising labor costs because sales growth has been so robust. We expect the same to be true in 3Q,” Mark Haefele, chief investment officer of UBS Global Wealth Management, said in a note Thursday
- L.A. County to set aside money to boost wages for caregivers for elderly and disabled
- Trump Organization found guilty on all counts of criminal tax fraud
- Democrats are trying to secure an extra Senate seat as the party looks toward several tough 2024 matchups in GOP-leaning states
- Sheriff says whoever fired at crucial North Carolina substations 'knew exactly what they were doing'
- California churches, nonprofit colleges could build homes on their land with proposed law
- TSA discovers dog in a carry-on bag at Wisconsin airport checkpoint
- World's first 'upcycled' skyscraper saves Australian tower from demolition
- Deion Sanders receives backlash for leaving Jackson State for Colorado
- Shell Fuel Rewards - 10 Year Celebration - Spin wheel for free gas discounts up to $0.25 (every spin is a winner, min $0.10) (6 replies)
- Cameron's Coffee Organic Scandinavian Blend Whole Bean Coffee, Medium-Dark Roast, 100% Arabica, 4-Pound Bulk Bag $23.38 or 5% s&s $22.21 (8 replies)
- Bay Area woman reportedly missing in Mexico
- Los Angeles County seeks flood control improvements in face of climate change
- Snap Circuits Teach Tech Mech 5, Mechanical Coding Robot - $17.99 - Amazon (1 replies)
- Fujifilm X-T5 Mirrorless Digital Camera w/ XF16-80mm Lens @ Amazon $1699.99 (9 replies)
- San Francisco couple accused of trafficking nanny from the Philippines